Check out the latest Recipes from Bull:
Reuben Dogs and Easy Deli Slaw
Whether you’re at Carnegie Deli in New York or Canter’s Deli in Los Angeles, there isn’t anything better than a Reuben Sandwich piled high with thinly sliced corned beef on top of Swiss cheese and sauerkraut with Russian dressing (can you tell I just had one?). Since it’s tailgate season, I thought this would be a great way to get your Reuben on in the parking lot or ready to go on a big platter. No Reuben is complete without a side of simple (read: really easy) deli-style cole slaw… and don’t forget the dill pickle spears!
I have included a pretty easy Russian dressing, but a good-quality Thousand Island will do the trick just as well.
makes about three-fourths cup
- 1/2 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon grated yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon prepared or freshly grated horseradish (not creamy style)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large pinch kosher salt
Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. The dressing is best if made a couple hours in advance and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Easy Deli-Style Cole Slaw
serves four to six
- 1 bag (16 ounces) tri-colored cole slaw mix
- 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Place cole slaw mix in a medium mixing bowl. Stir together the remaining ingredients and pour over the cabbage mix. Toss until thoroughly combined and refrigerate for one hour before serving.